Saturday, February 20, 2010

A big huge bump

On Monday I got a phone call from the school secretary. She told me that Jade fell and got a small bump on her head. She wanted me to know that Jade had some ice for it and was doing fine. She wasn't complaining of it hurting or anything. I got the call about 9-10:00.



When Jade got home this is what I saw. I did not think this was just a small bump.

Jade told me that she thought maybe she fainted. I wasn't sure if Jade really knew what that ment so we had an interesting converstation.

"Mom, I think I fainted".

"Umm, fainted. What do you mean you fainted"?

"Well I did".

"Well what does that mean Jade"?

"Well I think I did because when Ms. S. called my name I woke up".


I wasn't a very happy mother at this point. Nobody told me she might have fainted. Jade told me that she tripped and hit her head on the wall. This happen in gym class.

So I called right away and got her an appointment at the clinic. Hubby had to take her since I had kids late this night. He called me to tell me they were going to the hospital to get a cat scan. I was freaking out. They wanted to make sure her skull wasn't cracked.

Excuse me? They want to what? Of course I couldn't do anything but wait it out.
I couldn't call him either while at the hospital.

Finally, they got home and told me everything was ok. They told Jade that because of how hard she hit the wall she could get very black and blue.


So on Tuesday I told the girls they didn't have to go to school. Yes, they probably could have because Abby was bored all day and she drove me crazy! But I wanted to keep an eye on Jade and allow her to be able to take some tylenol when she needed it for pain. Her neck was hurting also on Tuesday. We've never allowed Abby to walk to school alone so that's why she also got to stay home. Plus I was mad that the school didn't send Jade home on Monday.

During the day I first had the secretary call to check on Jade. She told me at that point that she was just the one to call me about the bump. She did not see it happen.
Then I got an email from both Abby and Jade's teachers to make sure they were ok (I had already told the secretary in a message at 7:30am they wouldn't be in school and that they were going to be just fine).
Then about 1:00pm I got a call from Ms. S. the gym teacher who was in the gym when this happen and oh she is lucky I didn't freak out. She told me that Jade had sat out the rest of gym to ice her bump. When it was time to go Jade couldn't walk well. She needed help from Ms. S. to get to her classroom.
Ms. S. told me that she told Jade's teacher to watch her (yeah along with 20 other students) and maybe let her lay down for awhile.

I am very thankful that Jade is alright. I am still a bit upset that the supervising teacher at the time of the bump wasn't the one to call me in the first place. Jade had talked to her grandma Joyce that night and she picked up on the fact that Jade did not seem herself. She is doing well now and hasn't needed anything for pain since Wednesday morning. She didn't get as black and blue as we thought she would either. She has just alittle black and blueness around her nose.

On Thursday one of my daycare kids fell at home (thank goodness not at my house) and hit their coffee table. She ended up with some stitches.
It just happens to be in the same spot as Jade's bump.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

OMG!!!! I think that the adults at that school need some more training! I am glad she is doing better.

DM Selly said...

That is definitely not a small bump. I still can't believe how the school handled it. Glad to hear everything is okay and she is doing fine.