Wednesday, January 20, 2010

What are you worth?

As you all know I am a child care provider. I have been for 4.5 years. I am licensed by my county. I provide meals when children are here as well as daily projects that are themed based. I am a safe and loving place for children to learn and grow while their parents go to work.

For the first time I was asked by a parent to LOWER my daily rate. I charge all kids the same daily rate. I was a bit shocked she asked. I didn't really know what to say. The parent told me how much she would save if I lowered the rate for her. I told her I understood what she was saying and yes she would save alot of money but if she looked at it from my view THIS IS MY JOB. I kept it at that and told her I would need to think about it. I wanted to stay professional. She did tell me at that point that everyone she has spoken to charges what I do. She said she feels the kids are safe here and have fun. She likes that I am licensed and provide a structured place. So why not pay me my rate?

I really wanted to ask her if she has ever gone to her job and been asked to take a pay cut so her employer could save money. Of all things she works in sales so she wheels and deals all the time.

I am having a really hard time with this. At first I thought I really need more income. In order to get that I need more kids. She has 2 of them. Yes, if they come more often I would make more money but I would also not make the amount I want to make if I lower to her rate.

I have gone back and forth with this. I thought maybe I could tell her I would do it until I find another family who wants the spots at my rate. Other times I think maybe I should meet her in the middle and then we are both helping each other out.

Then I am reminded of this- My normal hours are 7am-5:30pm. Monday- Friday. She wants care on Mondays until 8:30 (which I have been doing 2 weeks now). She would add the days Friday and Saturday from 10:30am-6:30pm. So neither of the days she wants care for fit into what I normally offer. She has told me she can not find anyone to watch the kids that late or on Saturdays. I do not want to work those extra hours for a lower rate. She has also commented that they would maybe also bring the kids Tuesday if the dad's work schedule changes. That would also be until 8:30pm.

My daily rate also covers my holidays and vacations. Some providers in my area get their daily rate even when they are closed. I do not do this. I only get paid the days I am open and available to watch kids.

Why should I take a pay cut to give up my family time? Yes, I am still home with my family but its different when you have other people's kids here. Then also on Saturday we are stuck at home.

I am just not sure what to do. I think also each time those 2 kids use my paper towels it costs the same as the other kids, the toys they wear out cost just as much as what the other kids play with, the kleenex they use, the hand soap, my art supplies. Its all costs the same for each child in my home. Why should they get a discount?

At this point the biggest problem is I need MONEY TO PAY MY BILLS. Even at a discounted rate I would bring in more income each week. I have also thought about my other families. Is this fair to them if I lower my rate for her and not them. One of my parents is a single mom. It might be more of a struggle for to pay me than this other family.

This family is supposed to call me today. I am so nervous because I feel like I want to yell at her for putting me in this position. However, I am a business owner. I need to stay professional.

How much are you worth a day? I AM worth what I charge!


FYI: She wants to pay $5 less a day per kid totalling $10 a day. If you do the math and they come 3 days I loose $30. That is equal to almost 2 boxes of diapers!

2 comments:

Nik said...

I am glad you took the time to think it thru and make a decision! Its one no one but you can make, not matter what the opinion of the rest of us in this business.

Unfortunately many do not look upon us as a profession, giving us the same considerations as another (like it was said...do you think her reaction would have been different had her own boss asked the same of her..taking a pay cut per day amounting to a similar percentage in pay cut she is asking of you? for the same quality of work, but with extras..hours, etc, outside of her norm????)

Let us know how it ends or works out!

Full House said...

I don't think you should lower your rate for her. She herself said that other people have your same rate, and she also said that no one will take her because of the hours she needs. She most likely will not find any one cheaper or for her weird hours. She most likely will not search for anyone else becasue you are so good and she just wanted to see if you would go cheaper just so she could save money. Like you said she is in sales so she thought she would give it a try. She most likely needs you more than you need her!