Thursday, October 29, 2009

I miss you

Rebecca Maurine Jacobson (Becca)
May 8, 1981- October 29, 2003


*this poem was shared at Becca's funeral.

God saw she was getting tired and a cure was not to be, So he put His arms around her and whispered, "Come with me."

With tearful eyes we watched her suffer and saw her fade away, although we loved her dearly we could not make her stay.

A golden heart stopped beating. Hard working hands to rest, God broke our hearts to prove to us He only takes the best.


Some of you are probably asking who's Becca? Well, when I moved away from home to go to College I was placed with 4 other girls to live with. It was an apartment for College students. Becca just happened to be one of my roommates. I have to say she kind of drove us all nuts, but in a good way.

I wasn't very familiar with diabetes at the time but came to learn that it looked like something you wouldn't want. Becca had this and she had to give herself insulin shots during the day. She got it en she was in second grade. So she was living with this almost all her life. She was even in a coma in second grade for awhile.

When you register to live in the apartment I was living in you fill out an application and note a few things about yourself so you are placed with others you may have things in comman with. So Becca and I both liked to shop, eat out, watch movies, and we were both Catholic. Actually all of us girls placed together were Catholic.

Becca kept a rather messy room. She used to eat a lot of cold hot dogs and cheese! Now the furniture we had was not ours. It belonged to the apartment building. So imagine how many kids had sat on those couches and chairs. Yeah, rather gross to think about. Well, I always remember Becca taking her hot dog and cheese out of the frig and just laying it on the arm of the chair. NO PLATE OR NAPKIN. To me she was asking for so many germs. We used to get after her about it all the time.

After time went on Becca and I got to thinking about summer. We neither one wanted to move home. We wanted to make it on our own. We both had a sister and 2 brothers. We worked while going to College and we just wanted to show our families we could do it. So we set out to find a place to live. We could have stayed at the apartment but in the summer whoever is left living there would get placed with other kids who stayed (many we did not like).

Becca and I found a great job and place to live all in one! We lived at an elder home for of course elderly. It was an assisted living place. We had the whole basement to ourselves. It was 2 bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen, and living room. It was great except no bathtub. Just a shower. We got rent free in return for working there. So Becca and I would take turns. We had to be home at 11pm if it was our night to work. We could sleep. If the night worker upstairs needed help she rang our phone. Then at 6:00 am we went upstairs (usually still in our pj's) to make breakfast. Then at 7am we were done. It worked great since we had the daytime to do school work and to work paying jobs.

I always remember Becca struggling though with her sickness. She had a hard time keeping a job because they would say she was unreliable. She had to check her blood before she left for work. If it wasn't ok she couldn't drive. She always had pain her feet.

Becca always said she would never have children because she wouldn't live past 30. I never thought about it much then but I think more than anything she wanted to know what it was like to have kids. She never had the chance. She never made it to 30. She never even had the chance to marry her prince charming.

Becca did drive me crazy with her messiness and her spilling red cool aid on my light green couch but I would welcome her back any day. I miss her alot and think about her often. I miss our late night Taco Bell runs and our bread bowl salads from Perkins. I know Becca is in a better place now. She no longer needs to suffer.

I miss you Becca and today we're having hot dogs and cheese slices for lunch! But I am going to use a plate and warm them up! Love you.

I think too this is why Halloween isn't really one of my favorites. I always think of Becca this time of year.

No comments: