Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Its different when you have kids

Years ago I moved three hours away from home to become a nanny. I lived with the family and cared for their 2 children. I started that year the day after labor day. So September. Things were going well. It took some time to adjust living with another family. Around Thanksgiving time the mom came home and told me she was being let go from her job. The company was down sizing. Hmm, now what did that mean for me?

Thankfully mom was given a very gracious severance package. I continued to work for them. The mother decided to look for other work and catch up on some things that needed to be done. I was greatful. I hadn't been in the area long and I really hadn't met anyone yet. Ok I knew the family and about 2 or 3 other people at that point.

When May came around mom still wasn't working. The reason she wasn't working is the jobs she was offered did not sound pleasing to her. Why? Well, she wanted my job! She wanted to stay home with her kids. So I was given a 2 week notice. Yes, I still didn't really know anyone. I was 3 hours from home. I wanted to be able to make it on my own. I was close to a huge city filled with lots of people that I didn't know. So I went in search for a new nanny job. None of them sounded pleasing. There was one family that wanted to hire me but they wanted to me to attend ski trips with them. Well, I am not a winter person nor am I a person who knows how to ski. I ended up looking at Daycare Centers. I had a job offer right away but had a feeling it was temporary due to a teacher being on Maternity leave. However the lady trying to hire me seemed like she wasn't being totally honest with me. So I turned it down.

Finally I got offered an assistant teaching job working with 3 year olds. Perfect. I got a job!

I have thought about this experience the last few days. How easy it was to be able to take the time to find the job I wanted. The job that felt right. It was ok to turn down 2 of them because they didn't feel right. Why was it ok? Why did I have time to search? Well, I didn't have children to worry about.

A women's life changes greatly when they have children. I not only have to worry about myself but my children. All 4 of them are counting on me. So its not so easy now to just go in search of a job and not worry about where its at. I would gladly take another nanny job if it allowed me to also bring my 2 little ones with me. However I do not live in an area that has nanny jobs available like some areas do.

I think the thing that bothers me most about my current job/work situation is I used to make good money when I had a full group of kids to care for. I made more than my husband. I had money if I needed it. Now I am rather broke and I will be honest I am getting alittle nervous. I know it could always be worse. Everyone tells me its going to get better. Well great but I would love a time line here.

But on a happy note I am greatful for my health and my children. And sometimes my hubby!

I have learned from this time also. I have learned that the food in the frig is much cheaper than going out to eat. Left-overs are not so bad. I have learned that when going into Wal-Mart with alittle cash will save me from buying things I don't need and it will help me stick to what I have to purchase.

And by no means am I asking anyone to feel sorry for me. I am just blogging on my blog. Using my blog as my personal little therapy session! Hoping that it never actually talks back to me because then I think I will really be in the need for some real top dollar professional therapy!

1 comment:

~Dinah said...

Yes, children do change everything! You will find the right amount of work at the right time....there's a plan, you just don't know it yet! ;)