Thursday, October 14, 2010

~Letter to the Editor~

As part of the local child care association I got elected to write a letter to the editor... ok whatever, I offered! I had 406 words. However the total allowed is 300.  Yikes. Too many. So after some careful editing and a quick email to my sister for a second opinion this is what I sent-

Quality Child Care
Hi, my name is Amy Wynn. I have been a licensed child care provider in the ------ area for 5 years. I am a wife, mother and also the Vice President for the ------ County Licensed Family Child Care Association. I’ve never had to look for child care for my children but if I ever have to I want to make sure I find quality care. We all want the best for our children!

There are some things a parent should know about finding quality care. I hope my letter will help someone in need!

When a provider wants to become licensed their home goes through an inspection with the County Licensor. The provider goes through trainings such as CPR, First Aid and Car Seat Training. Providers must do 8 hours of continuing training per year.

A few tips on finding quality care-

*Interview many providers. ------- County has over 100 licensed providers. We all offer different programs and have different personalities.

*Ask family, friends or co-workers who have child care providers if their provider has openings and if they would recommend their services?

*Know what you want for your child. Do you want a provider who does a preschool program? Do you want just part-time care? Do you need a provider open later hours?

*Ask questions at the interview. You can do searches on-line to find lists of questions.

Remember when looking for child care to get a tour of where your child will play and nap. Make sure the areas look safe and clean. Ask the provider to show you a copy of their license (a copy should be posted in the child care).

Best of luck in your search for quality child care.

1 comment:

mom4 said...

cool i think i should see if our local paper paper would go for something like this