Friday, April 2, 2010

I did it!

Jade and Abby went with me to Wal-Mart to look for fabric. The first fabric we picked out was a light green checkered pattern. However after some measuring we realized they did not have enough of that fabric at the store. So Abby found this fabric. My first thought was, do I really want that in my porch? Then my next thought was everyone who comes to my home knows I have children and do daycare, so why not the stars. My daycare name is also Amy's Shining Stars Daycare! So it works perfect.
(if I had to pick a name again it would be something shorter but its already
 registered with the state so its what it is).
We bought 8 yards of fabric.

After washing the fabric to avoid shrinking later on after my curtains were made I washed it first. Then I did some ironing and pining. Then I took it to the very old sewing machine my mother gave me. Its super old. But it worked great for me.

After all my hard work I have two curtains made.
I would really like to put 3 up here to make it more bunchy but for now 2 will have to do.
If I want a 3rd I will need to purchase more fabric.

If you haven't seen my porch, its all windows! I still need to make 2 curtains for this side.

I do have to say after this small project I realize why "REAL" sewers need sewing rooms.
I started during nap and had to clean up when the kids got up for snack. Then I had to work with Maddison trying to help me. I have to admit a room with a lockable door that didn't need to be cleaned up so much might have come in handy.
I hope to get the other curtains sewed this weekend.

The best part about it, even though my curtains have flaws was what Abby said to me,
"Mom you really can sew, you did it".
Who knew I could impress a 6 year old!

3 comments:

~Dinah said...

Way to go!! They look great!

Nik said...

They look fantastic! I bet Abby is proud her fabric was used!
*Nik pats Amy on the back*

mom4 said...

love it great job ! i think she was right it is prefect for your dc