Sunday, February 21, 2010

And the walls come down!

Hubby has started on his basement project! If you haven't seen the basement before its kind of set up as 4 rooms. One side of the basement is all one big space. Thankfully this was already closed off by a wall and 2 doors when we purchased the home. Nothing special though.  Its where the laundry area is along with the furnace and storage area. Oh and also hubby's huge garbage cans that hold water. There are two of them (for his fish tank). On the other side of the basement there are 3 rooms. The furthest one from the steps is the blue room we call the playroom! The middle area is going to be a small family room. The last room was a bedroom (we never used it) in the need of TLC! It has the egress window already! However during a huge rainstorm we had some water leak in. There weren't proper rain gutters on the house. We didn't know this at the time until the house started flouding! We have since then fixed the raingutters. So there has been some water damage in this room. My daycare licensor said we only need to take down the bedroom door and we could use it for daycare (with aproval of the fire marshal). We decided since the wall needs to be fixed anyways to take one wall down and open up the basement some. In the future when our children are older or we are able to add a bathroom downstairs we may decide to put the wall back up. The bathroom will hopefully some day be next to the playroom where we now have some storage. We are lucky though that we have atic space upstairs that we can move this stuff when we need to (holiday decor type stuff).  So for now the walls are coming down. Oh and that ugly brown paneling is coming down too. We do have a closet in that room that will stay. 
I can't wait until this area is done. I want to put down some colorful children's playmats in the far corner and use this for a play space. Hoping to put some type of slide or play climber down there to use when we can not get outside.

I thought it was funny that while doing this my hubby wore slippers! Now I would think most would put shoes on being there were nails!

Oh and yesterday morning before daycare arrived I allowed my kids to play downstairs for an hour while I cleaned in the laundry room. I straighted up the clothes down there and organized things into totes according to size. I think I could clothe 3 kids who are size 4t for a whole winter (I think that is the first winter we had Abby full-time and we I got alittle too excited)! I also picked some stuff out and hubby delivered it to one of those clothing red drop boxes! There is even a huge tote now waiting to be sold at a garage sale.
I have no idea where this cleaning energy came from but I like it and I am not giving it away! I can't wait to get more organized and get some more house projects done.

I still can not find the spell check on this????
Well its time to go. Laundry is calling me.

No comments: