Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Christmas Party

Well I had something I was going to post about today but now I am going to post this post instead!

Lastnight we had our Daycare Association Christmas Party! In the past we rented a banquet room in the middle of December and invited 181 providers to attend and have a meal. The meal usually cost people about $12.00 and that included a dessert. NOBODY CAME. It was aways just the board members and a few husbands who got alittle rowdy. We always had fun but to rent a room for $50-$100 and get 8 people there didn't make sense.

Last year we did a potluck instead at our meeting. It was fantastic. We had about 25 providers show up! Still not the 1oo some providers we invite but its a start. Well this year one of the board members was totally against potluck because of flu season. Germs galore. I had to laugh because doing daycare you let tons of germs into your home everyday. How bad can a potluck be.

So instead I was in charge of food. We had subs brought in from Quiznos. They have done this for a training we hosted in the past. They make little trays up with a variety of sandwiches. They put fixing on the side so we can top our subs how we like (subway wouldn't do that). Another board member picked up some pop and chips from the grocery store and another board member picked up a cake over the weekend at Costco (so yummy, I had to put the diet on hold)!

We enjoyed our food and also learned about a few new Christmas craft idea we can do in our daycare. Maybe not mine this year with my kids being so young but they had good ideas.

Then we played a game. It was the left right game. Ever heard of it. Well you have a story that uses the words left and right alot. Guess who wrote the story. Yes, I DID! I know I am shocked myself. It was about area daycares and Santa came to town to deliver presents. It was great. I was able to use some of the providers who usually attend the meetings in the story. We had a few laughs and I even had them confused a bit with all the lefts and rights in the story.

Oh for those who don't know the game.... Everyone had a present and they all stood in a circle. I read the story. If I said left they had to pass their present to the left. If I said right they passed it to the right. So they didn't end up with the present they started with! It was alot of fun. Everyone loved my story.

The best part about the evening is not only was my present a cute holiday candy dish from the local dollar store but I also won a co0l door prize!
One of the board members sells Authentic Scentsy Products. They are warmers that have fragrances you can melt. I first saw these at her open house a few weeks ago with my mom and sister. My mom actually allowed my sister and I to pick one out for Christmas! (so cool they are at my house now but I have orders not to open them because they are for Christmas and mom wants to wrap them). Anyways, I won a small one yesterday as a door prize. Now my mother thinks I should give her the small one. They are warmed by a light bulb. They fragrances melt but do not get hot. So its safer than a candle if you have kids running around. If you want to see some go to www. tpraught.scentsy.us They would make a great gift. I was very excited to win one.



I have to say too the fist time I went to an association meeting I was scared. I had butterflies in my tummy. I couldn't figure out why I was invited to sit in a room with all my competition. But here's the thing these other ladies and gentlemen (he helps his wife) are not competition. They are actually great people to network with. And who would have known I would end up as the secretary for two years and now Vice President! I would have never thought. I have met some great ladies/providers!


No comments: