Tuesday, January 4, 2011

~Taco Soup~



Ingredients:


2 lbs ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 14.5 oz can whole kernel corn
2 16 oz cans of ranch style beans (I only used one can because I'm not a bean lover & it was fine)
3 cans of diced tomatos (maybe substitute 1 can rotel if you like spicy)
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 pkg Hidden Valley dressing mix
Brown and drain meat. Saute onions for a few minutes. Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Add chili powder, salt and pepper to taste. Simmer 1-2 hours. I topped it with shredded cheese!
 (I topped it with some light sour cream as well)

I had never heard of Ranch Style beans before this recipe. I did find them though at my local Cub Foods. They were located on the top shelf near the other beans. When I made this I did not use any chili powder as I did not want it to get too spicy for the kids. I will for sure make this again. I loved it! If you like Chili you would probably like Taco Soup! I served my Taco Soup with Garlic Cheese Biscuits.

I think that this made alot of soup. I fed myself a very good bowl and also 6 daycare kids (each 1 cup). So if you only wanted enough soup for a couple people you may want to cut the recipe in half. The kids all ate it (well except for my picky Maddison). We had lots of leftovers and it was still good leftover.

Garlic Cheese Biscuits
2 1/4 cups bisquick (I used healthy smart bisquick)
2/3 cup milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I used low fat cheese)
1 tsp garlic salt
Combine ingredients and make drop biscuits by just dropping spoonfuls on a sprayed pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Such a great side!

1 comment:

Full House said...

The word "Taco Soup" sounds really icky, but after reading what is in it I want to try it and it sounds good. I have never heard of ranch beans either and before you talked further about them I was like hmm I will have to ask her what in the world those are and where you found them! Thanks for the new recipe!