Thursday, December 17, 2009

Christmas Tree


There are times I think maybe my kids don't have enough stuff. I think they need more clothes or they need more toys or they need to go on more mini vacations. But today I am thinking my kids got it pretty good. They are very lucky.


I watched alittle boy today for a few hours while his mom went to the local college. We have a program in our county called the Crisis Nursery and I am a provider that they can call when a child needs care. I didn't think too much about some of the things the boy was saying. Kids make up stories and I just figured they were religious people and attend church often. Wow, I was a bit wrong. When the mother came she told me they are living in a shelter. They can not find anyone to help them. She was supposed to take some classes at the college because she has been trying to get work through the temp agencies in town and they all tell her she is not qualified. The college has lost her financial aid information. She has gone to all the places in town here that rent to low income families and they all have a 2 year waiting list. Some of them are not even adding more people to the list. The boy said something about a tree and the mom looked at him and nicely said "We don't have a Christmas tree". The church talk comes from the boy eating his meals at the Soup Kitchen in town which is in a church.

Who doesn't have a Christmas tree? I thought everyone did. Every child deserves a Christmas tree.
I know that some people abuse the system and I am sure they are on the ones on top of that waiting list. But this could be me and my kids without a Christmas tree. Would someone help us?

I offered a few resources to her that I am aware of. Sadly she has tried all them.

I think I might offer to let him come to our daycare Christmas party. Every child should have a happy Christmas. This might mean more to that boy than we think.
On black Friday I went and did some shopping with my mom and sister. My mom had a list of things she needed to get for the giving tree at her Church. I guess my dad took it off the tree. On the list was cleaning supplies like Commet, a bucket and rags. Who puts rags on their Christmas list? Who asked for cleaning supplies? I felt bad that someone had to ask for stuff like that. I think sometimes we take the little things in life granted.

2 comments:

~Dinah said...

It is so sad what some people have to go through. Just please, don't give away your services. Work with her, yes, but you are worth your wages AND she deserves the respect/dignity of paying for the services she needs in whatever way she is capable....assistance help/modified payments etc.

I think it would be wonderful of you to include her in your party!

Molly said...

I think we all need to remember to help those in need. I know we talk about the system and how some people need to get off there butts and work but there are those who truly do need help. I think you deffently should include them in your party. It may be the only Christmas that child will get. I hope if this were me someone would give my child a Christmas.