Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Names

I remember years ago my parents telling me that my dad wanted to name me Rose after a small dinky place called Rose City. If you know what I am talking about you would know that you wouldn't want to be named after such a thing. If you don't know Rose City its a small little town in the middle of nowhere that has about 10 houses now, a little bar and a church. Nothing to get too excited about. A name is something you are given at birth and its yours to carry with you forever. For however long you are here celebrating life! So yes, it should have meaning.

When I was pregnant with Sweet Baby Girl we at first wanted to give her the name Hannah. Then Hannah Montana got so popular that I just couldn't have my child thinking that's how she got her name. I also had a daycare child say "We could call her Hannah Montana". Umm, no. So we came up with the name Maddison Marie. Marie is my middle name and also Danny's grandmother's first name. I have never seen Maddison spelled anywhere else with 2 D's but I wanted it to be a bit different. Now both the older girls where named by their birth mom. Jade Lynn got her middle name from her mom. That is her middle name as well. Then there is Abbygail Rose. Sadly I have no idea where or how she got her name. Hubby said he had no choice in the matter.

When I was little I was given the name Amy and I wanted my sister to be called Rainbow. Now can you imagine if my parents would have granted me my wish. Can you imagine what my sister would think of her name? I am sure she would have been teased. But hey I was little, what did I know about names? My mom wanted her to be an Abby. However dad said no. Its ok though because we have our Abby in the family now! My sister ended up with Molly as her name.

Now my husband ended up with his dad's name Danny. He also ended up with 2 middle names which he refused to do with Maddison. I wanted to name her after my great grandma Agnes. I was even willing to use Maddison Marie Agnes. He as 2 middle names and is surviving it well why wouldn't she? He refused. So we didn't do that. His name is Danny Jason Christopher.

My dad was adopted as some my readers probably know. Its not something we talk about alot but most do know it. Now when he was adopted his adoptive parents gave him the name Roger. His birth mom had named him Ralph. Now of course to me he was always dad and still is but I could not imagine his name being Ralph. He just doesn't seem to fit the name Ralph. I think Roger is a better fit.

So a name should have some meaning to it. It should be something you think your child will someday be thankful to go to school and tell everyone they meet what their name is.

I guess what I am getting at is what am I going to name my unborn baby? We had a boy name picked out just in case they were wrong when they said we were having a girl when we had Maddison. However my mother made fun of the name. We had Christian Harvey picked out. Harvey is my grandpa's name. Maybe it just struck her as not a name we'd pick. She said our child would be called Christ. So after all that I don't want to use that name this time around if it happens to be a boy. We have pondered the name Aiden, which is something I like but Hubby hates it. We have pondered the name Mason, Hubby hates it. I have told him we could just name a boy Danny since his name is Danny and so is his dads, he hates it. That's ok too because I don't like that idea either.

We seem to be able to come up with girl names a bit easier. We have pondered names from Allison, Keira, Alayna, Madeline, Marissa and a few others. I still want the middle name Agnes. He wants to use Lee which is his mom's name. Her first name is Lydia.

No matter what we find out at our ultrasound on Friday I want to have boy name and a girl name picked out. Just in case they tell us one thing and it turns out to be different.

So in the end if we end up with a boy we may have to call him Boy and if we end up with a girl we may have to call her Girl! I think this time around we won't have a final name until that little Baby Wynn is born.

No comments: